Wednesday, November 12, 2014

California Salata! Fresh Baby!





This salad and I go wayyyy back! When I was about 18 I worked at this quaint little Afghan restaurant in Claremont, CA. They had a gorgeous display case of all their traditional homemade goodies right next to the host stand, it was torture!! After a few months of eating way too many tandoori kabobs and mounds of Afghan fries at 9pm I had to make some healthier substitutions. Thats when I fell in love!

This recipe is a slightly modified take on a traditional Afghan salata. It’s perfect for those days when I’m feeling a little “fluffy” and want something flavorful but light. I nicknamed it “California Salata” because, well us Californians eat avocados with practically everything…except ice cream… that would be weird!! When I want to make this a complete meal I add one of my go to protiens. This dish is quick and easy so it’s a great choice when I need to grab and go!! 


Ingredients:


        3 medium tomatoes, diced

        2 medium cucumbers, diced

        2 lemons

        3/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped (about one small bushel)

        2 ripe avocados, cub

        1 medium red or sweet onion, diced 

        Salt and pepper to taste

        Grilled shrimp or Salmon (optional)


Directions:


Begin by peeling your cucumbers and remove outer onion skin. Next, chop cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and avocados into 1/4 inchcubes. Set mixture aside in large bowl. Roughly chop the cilantro, I usually just keep the cilantro tied up and slice the head of leaves off to avoid picking every piece off by hand. Add cilantro to veggie mixture. Cut both lemons in half and squeeze juice over the salad (mind the seeds!). Salt and pepper salad to your preference and enjoy this crisp colorful salad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment