Friday, March 8, 2013

Chicken tortilla soup!

A go to favorite around these parts is Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Since I do LOVE my crock pot, I usually throw things in in the morning and and viola! finished and ready to serve in the morning. But the other day we had all been out running around- grocery shopping- and 6pm rolled around when the kids started to melt down and hunger melt downs kicked in.

-Side note----- Why is it that one goes grocery shopping to get food for dinner and by the time ones arrives back home with said food, one is entirely to exhausted to make any of what was just bought?! Tell me I'm not the only one guilty of this!
Ok, back to my woo's about hunger melt downs. As I was saying, this soup is often requested at our house and ALL 5 of us enjoy it! WORD. All 5! I will include the crock pot recipe and the 'got to eat in 10 minutes before I waste away to nothing' recipe.


Crock pot for 5 with left overs:
- A few handfuls of cooked shredded chicken ( I usually cheat and get one of those rotisserie chickens from the store and use some of that yummy meat)
- A cereal bowl full of mixed dry beans that I have soaked over night before adding. I use whatever is on hand but like black beans.
- 1 Can of diced tomatoes. I use plain because of the kiddos but you can use a can the ones that have diced chili in them if you like more kick!
- 1 packet of dried mild taco seasoning.
- 1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup- optional, just makes it more creamy.
- Water to cover everything.
- A handful of chicken bullion cubes or a few cans of chicken stock.
- Handful of frozen corn.
Cook on low for 8 hours or so and serve with shredded cheese, smushed up tortilla chips, and sour cream!
BAM!

Must eat like yesterday recipe- for 5
Stove top- 1 large can of canned chicken chunks ( I use Sam's club brand)
1 can of corn
1 can of condensed cream of chicken
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1/2 packet of mild taco seasoning
Water
Bring to a boil, cool down, and garnish. 10 minutes and done. I have also added a handful of uncooked instant rice before boiling to soup. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment